Crispy Bean Bake

Crispy Bean Bake

I adapted this recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, Paleo Magazine. The original called for turkey instead of beans, and I tried the recipe with meat. I have to say, it was OK, but I wanted something vegetarian, and here's what I came up with.

2 tablespoons of olive oil, plus extra for greasing
1 large onion, chopped
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1 can of tomato sauce (I use Muir Glen)
2 cans of pinto beans, drained
8 button mushrooms, chopped
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and mashed
1 teaspoon of fresh lime juice
Pinch salt and pepper
2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal
1 cup of sliced almonds
1 cup of shredded coconut


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a large baking dish with extra olive oil. 
In the olive oil, sauté onions and peppers over medium heat for 8-10 minutes until tender. Add the next 9 ingredients, then bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes. 
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with the flaxseed meal, sliced almonds, and coconut flakes.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed.
Remove from the oven and serve hot. Enjoy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super Easy Homemade Hummus

Why I am gluten free

Eggplant Bacon Lettuce and Tomato-EBLT